Thursday, September 4, 2008

Agnes Hall

MR> Please let me introduce Ms. Agnes Hall. Agnes, thank you for your time today.

Tell us if you do layout or outline before attempting the content. Can you give some detail on your technique?

AH> 'The Canvas Bag' began as a very loose idea and as I went along the story expanded. Characters I hadn't thought of initially, began to appear. The other works in progress, 'The Conchy' and 'Raspberry Summer'. have started the same way. 'The Conchy' is a sequel to 'The Canvas Bag' and is an expansion of one particular character. 'Raspberry Summer' is the story of two sisters on holiday when events change what should have been a wonderful summer holiday into a nightmare.

MR> How long did it take you to complete The Canvas Bag?

AH> I began writing after I retired to live in Spain in 2000. I joined a
Creative Writing Group in 2003 and after about one year of writing
short stories, I began to write 'The Canvas Bag'. After writing off
and on for about three years, the book was eventually finished in
2006. The revision and editing then started and 'The Canvas Bag' was
eventually published in 2008.

'Raspberry Summer' was started in 2007 and 'The Conchy' at the
beginning of 2008. If I begin to struggle with one, I move to the
other. I find sometimes, that if I leave a piece of work and go back
to it with 'fresh eyes' the ideas begin to flow again.

MR> Canvas Bag is a period piece, set in 1900, so you must have had a
lot of research into that era. Can you tell us about that?

AH> The story starts around the late 1800's. I have done a lot of research, particularly as the novel spans a long period... until after the 2nd. World War. I have also had a smattering of family knowledge which helped.

MR> Did people, family and friends, know you were writing or was it
kept secret until recently?

AH> Some close friends knew that I was writing but even my husband did
not read any of it until it had been published. I think that it is
important to get the story down before exposing yourself. It depends who you can trust to give an objective opinion.

MR> What kinds of book promotion have you got planned?

AH> I have contacted newspapers/radio stations etc and will obviously
have to 'push' the book whenever I can and in whatever way I can. My
publishing company have not been particularly pro-active so far.

MR> Where can people find out more about your book?

AH> Please visit my website at www.agneshall.com

MR> Well we wish you every success with your new book, Agnes. Thanks for taking the time for this visit.